Friday, July 22, 2011

WEEKEND GRAB BAG ~ CASES

ROOTS~~~~ Case, as in instance or example: Old English casus, associated also with Old French cas a happening; both from Latin cāsus, a befalling, occurrence, from cadere to fall.

Case, as in container: from Old French casse, from Latin capsa, from capere to take, hold.

Latin has its own cases:






A Case of Astrology

Evangeline Adams(8 February 1868 - 1932) became nationally known when she read a chart for the owner of New York's Windsor Hotel on Fifth Avenue predicting a serious disaster that would take place almost immediately. The hotel owner was unaware of any impending problems and took no action, but the next day his hotel was destroyed by fire. The resulting media publicity brought Evangeline Adams immediate fame nationwide. In 1914 she was prosecuted for "fortune-telling" but contested the case in court. She demonstrated her methods of work and made an accurate character reading of the judge's son, from a date, time and place of birth given to her without further detail, by Judge John H. Freschi. The judge acquitted her, stating: "The defendant has raised astrology to the dignity of an exact science."


And ~~ The Case For Astrology
In The Case for Astrology John Anthony West presents compelling new evidence that proves the astrological premise that correlations exist between events in the sky and on earth, and that correspondences exist between the human personality and the positions of the planets at birth.






Moral indignation in most cases is, 2% moral, 48% indignation, and 50% envy.
Vittorio De Sica




The song: A Case of You, written and originally sung by Joni Mitchell, born 7 November 1943. Scorpio passion and intensity flows through the song. "You're in my blood like holy wine....." "Go to him, stay with him if you can, But be prepared to bleed...." Scorpio is there, in the "feel" of it all. kd lang whose version I much prefer was born 2 November 1961 (Sun in Scorpio). Diana Krall who ties with kd lang for me in best version stakes, was born 16 November 1964 (Sun in Scorpio). Allison Crowe has a very creditable version; she was born...... 16 November 1981.

Coincidental huh? All Sun in Scorpio.

Male versions of the song are few, although the lyrics fit either gender equally well. Prince included it on a Joni Mitchell tribute album. He has Sun in Gemini, but, according to Astrotheme has Scorpio rising....so the theme goes on!


Just before our love got lost you said

"I am as constant as a northern star"
And I said "Constantly in the darkness
Where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the bar"

On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue TV screen light
I drew a map of Canada
Oh Canada
With your face sketched on it twice
Oh you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet

Oh I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
oh I would still be on my feet

Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid

I remember that time you told me you said
"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine
'Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time
Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet

Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours
She knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds
And she said
"Go to him, stay with him if you can
But be prepared to bleed"

Oh but you are in my blood
You're my holy wine
You're so bitter, bitter and so sweet

Oh, I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet



“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.”
W. C. Fields





Expensive Cases



If the sleek design of your iPad doesn’t quite fit your aesthetic preference, then you may benefit from a case designed for Apple’s must-have tablet—and what could be classier than the most expensive iPad case in the world?
David August, based out of Costa Mesa, California, has been creating custom men’s wardrobes for more than 20 years and has outfitted stars such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Will Smith and Robert Downey, Jr. Now he has produced a collection of exotic leather goods that includes the priciest iPad case to date.
Like the other items in the collection, the iPad case is made with hand cut alligator skin of the finest quality and stitched by a skilled family of Italian artisans. The case itself is priced at $6,900, and the whole collection—also including a laptop attaché case, Dopp kit, watch holder and change tray—can be yours for $37,800.
http://most-expensive.net/ipad-case



“This case has had full analyzation and has been looked at a lot.”
George W. Bush




CASE DISMISSED.

ENJOY THE WEEKEND!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just in case you did'nt see that case: a few days ago a forklift dropped several cases of Australian Shiraz - a good wine - worth over one million $.

Most of the bottles were broken. A few escaped dammage but were not found. Did the driver of that forklift drink some of them already before the "accident"? Cirio, GP

Wisewebwoman said...

Brilliant post,T, you excelled yourself!
Diane Krall does the best version, I saw her do it live and wept like a baby. One of my very favourite songs.
As to alligators, poor things, though I could say the same for cows as I tramp around on my leather.
XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Anonymous/Gian Paul ~~~ Probably so! :-) A case of a thirsty worker.

Twilight said...

WWW ~~~ Thank you kindly!

I couldn't decide which version to post because I like kd's and Diane's equally. Decided on kd's because she's often overlooked, and has never received the acclaim she deserves. She's a superb interpreter of a song and has a gorgeous voice - never fudges the words, you can hear every one and every nuance. I so admire singers who respect lyrics - Sinatra was one such....possibly the best there'll ever be in that respect.

James Higham said...

Haven't seen a good ablative for a long time.

Twilight said...

James ~~~ No - I know! But genitives with apostrophes in the wrong place are "common as muck" (as we used to say in Yorkshire).
:-D