Tuesday, September 01, 2009

SEPTEMBER


Welcome September! I've waited impatiently for you since June! Looked forward to kinder temperatures, clearer air, coolness, heading for some downright shivery mornings in a few short weeks. I fancy a shiver!
("September Morn" by Paul Chabas, left.)




September - "septem..." Latin for seven, was 7th month of the year in Roman times, before the calendar was changed in 153 BC, making September our 9th month. In astrology September contains part Virgo, part Libra, 6th and 7th signs of the tropical zodiac. Astrological houses 6 and 7 connect to Virgo and Libra respectively. So even though September is our 9th month, it retains some relationship to seven.

Historically, September hasn't always been a month of autumn glory. The invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany in September 1939 started World War 2 in Europe. September 11th 2001 holds a memory engraved into the hearts and minds of Americans, and others all over the world.

In view of those two pieces of history, it's tempting to think that the word 'septic' (relating to putrifaction, toxic, poisoning ) might come from the same root as 'September', but thankfully it doesn't. Its origin is the Greek word 'septikos'.
"My life's long radiant Summer halts at last,
And lo! beside my path way I behold
Pursuing Autumn glide: nor frost nor cold
Has heralded her presence; but a vast
Sweet calm that comes not till the year has passed
Its fevered solstice, and a tinge of gold
Subdues the vivid colouring of bold
And passion-hued emotions. I will cast
My August days behind me with my May,
Nor strive to drag them into Autumn's place,
Nor swear I hope when I do but remember.
Now violet and rose have had their day,
I'll pluck the soberer asters with good grace
And call September nothing but September."

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox.


Cant' end without that other "September Morn" - Neil Diamond's, with some lovely photographs added.

2 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Yes, it's getting cooler here - just a shame it missed out the summer. I guess that's what happens when it rains on St Swithins Day.

Twilight said...

AN ~~~ St Swithins doesn't happen here wonder why? But the temps have dropped a bit in the past few days, especially early and late.

It'll soon be safe to take off for an adventure!
:-)